Female joggers, stay alert when you’re out running along the trails. Yesterday morning, a female jogger was assaulted in Carkeek Park, less than 4 miles south of the Highlands. According to the SPD blotter, he attacked her from behind but she was able to fight him off with only minor abrasions. However, the suspect is still at large. Please visit the SPD blotter link for a full description on the suspect.
What’s interesting is the time of the day. The female victim was jogging at a “safe” time, a little before 8:30am, when the attack happened. Here are a few tips for Highlands joggers to be aware of:
- Pay attention. If you must run with your iPod on, keep it low, so you can still hear sounds around you.
- Listen to your gut. If you don’t feel safe running down a certain trail, turn around. Don’t take chances.
- Be visible. Wear brightly colored clothing. This is especially important when jogging where there is traffic. Also, stay in well-lit areas.
- Vary your route and always let a family member or friend know where you’re going.
- Leave valuables at home – Keep i.d, a cell phone and keys on you in case of an emergency.
- Invest in a whistle or personal alarm device. If something does happen, you can at least draw attention to yourself from other passer-bys.
- Jog or run with others if possible. The more the merrier. This tip applies to dogs too. If your pooch can run with you, take him or her along. Dogs can help keep you safe.
With these tips, let’s hope it can keep our Highlands joggers safe and sound when they’re going on long runs down to Carkeek Park.